The monastery of Kipina is the most impressive in Epirus, constructed in 1212 in the honor of the Assumption of Virgin Mary.
It is wedged into a vertical cliff in such a perfect way that it is hard to be traced, near the village of Kalarrytes.
Inside the monastery a secret door leads to a crypt, where the cave during the period of Ottoman domination and national resistance was the hiding place of the undercover Greeks. Impressive frescoes decorate the interior of the church dating from the 17th century.
Here, there was a drawbridge that guarded the entrance from invaders as well as 240 m deep cave for the protection of nearby residents.
Its name is due to the gardens that monks cultivated near the monastery.