At the settlement ‘Palaiochori’ ,only 3 klms to the South of the village of Vourgareli, at one can come across the Red Church. It is the only extant byzantine monument in the range of Tzoumerka, with some wonderful religious paintings, dating back to 1295, yet on the wane over the course of time.
Unfortunately time has left the traces of the old monastery that existed there, but the outer church remains intact. The name Red Church is probably due to the lively red color of the bricks, which consists of the wall-painting of the temple
The church is dedicated to the Birth of the Theotokos (Virgin Mary) and celebrates on September 8th.